Similar to the lightbulbs inside your home, the lights on your vehicle will go out eventually. Sometimes, they fail from old age or from accidents. All in all, you’ll need to get the necessary repairs and replace the light to keep you and others safe on the road. If your headlamps are halogen bulbs, read on to learn how to safely swap out your headlights.
- Put on a pair of gloves.
- Refer to your owner’s manual and look for the model of the bulb.
- Turn off your car and make sure it is cooled down.
- Open the hood of your vehicle and locate the headlight holder.
- Disconnect the wires – there are usually several.
- Remove the old bulb using a turning motion to remove it from the socket.
- Replace with the new bulb. It is important that you handle the bulb with care. Wipe it down before installing. The bulb should go in with the base first.
- Replace the headlight holder and wires.
- Do a test run.
While changing a headlight may seem easy, it can get pretty complicated if you don’t know where you’re looking for. Plus, modern vehicles tend to use LED headlights or HID headlights, which may require a more involved installation process.
Therefore, we recommend leaving headlight installations to the professionals. At Rix Automotive, we have all the necessary tools and equipment to perfect any light repairs. Feel free to give our team a call or visit today.